Founded in 1899 by Frank Ross and his brother-in-law Frank Skiff, the Jewel Tea Company started as door to door salesman, utilizing horse drawn wagons to sell tea and coffee. Jewel Food Stores opened its first free-standing grocery store in 1932. In 1937 the Company in order to remain competitive in the marketplace, purchased Pay Less Drug stores. In 1941 these drug stores were re-named Osco Drug. In the early 1960’s the Company began combining Jewel and Osco stores under one roof, offering our customers a “one stop” shopping experience. In the next 50 years, we grew to expand our store locations throughout the Chicagoland area and diversified our product offerings by catering to the communities in which we served. In 2013, Jewel-Osco was acquired by New Albertsons Inc. Today, Jewel-Osco has 186 stores in Illinois, Iowa and Indiana with over 32,000 associates. Jewel-Osco is the number one food and drug retailer in the Chicagoland area with over 40% market share.
Our purpose is to be the best local supermarket for our customers, employees, partners and communities. Each of us are committed to the following:
• Knowing, listening to, and delighting our customers to win their loyalty.
• Providing the right products at a compelling value, including high quality fresh and local selections.
• Delivering a superior shopping experience.
• Thinking and acting like owners and making our company a great place to work.
• Being an active member of our local communities