Major Bank is seeking a Deputy Controller to manage all staff in Financial Accounting. Help to direct, coordinate and monitor the activities of the Financial Accounting department, including preparation of financial statements and related reports; submission of SEC and regulatory filings; enhancement and maintenance of internal controls over financial reporting; and compliance with GAAP, regulatory requirements and Bank policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the employees of the Financial Accounting & Reporting department are appropriately supervised, evaluated and developed; and that employees have equal opportunity for promotion and development.
- Assess the organization structure and roles/responsibilities within the unit, evaluate workloads and division of labor among staff, review operations within the department for efficiency and effectiveness, and consider whether the right people are in the right places.
- Help to oversee the activities and systems of the Financial Accounting & Reporting department to ensure the integrity of the accounting records and financial reporting to internal and external users of the Bank’s financial information.
- Asist in developing the compilation of periodic financial statements in accordance with U.S. GAAP, applicable regulatory requirements and Bank policies.
- Assist in conducting research as a subject matter expert on the rules and application of U.S. GAAP and provide advice on matters impacting the financial records and reporting of the Bank, e.g., new transactions, new FASB pronouncements, etc.
- Assist in ensuring the adequacy of controls over accounting and financial reporting. Assist in ensuring that financial reporting systems are maintained and developed, as needed, to support the integrity of the Bank’s financial records.
- Assist in the preparation of SEC filings (e.g. write MD&A discussions and analysis as needed), in coordination with other employees.
- Work with external audit firm, internal auditors, the SOX team, FHFA examiners and others, as required, to satisfy inquires.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors in accounting or finance. Certified Public Accountant is a plus. Graduate degree in business or finance desirable.
- 10 years of experience working within the accounting/reporting function of a financial services organization and/or as an auditor with a public accounting firm.
- Knowledgeable of SEC regulations and filing guidelines; experience within the financial services industry highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with SEC filing, e.g., hands-on development of high-quality MD&A commentary and discussions.
- Participation in the preparation of selected SEC disclosures (i.e., quantitative tables) and supporting materials. Understanding of XBRL.
- Knowledge of accounting for derivatives and hedges, mortgage loans and mortgage-backed securities.
- Proficient in MS Office product with expertise in Excel
- Deep understanding of automated General ledger.
Salary is up to 250K
Trandon Associates, Inc.
New York, NY 10017
Work location: New York, NY